Thursday, October 2, 2008

A True Hero!

I am a member of Team Fox, the volunteer fundraising arm of the Michael J. Fox Foundation. I joined Team Fox because my Mom has Parkinson's Disease and I was tired of sitting on the sidelines just hoping that her progression was slow. Since joining I have raised over $11,000 and have enjoyed every minute of it! The most amazing part of my experience with this great foundation though has been getting to know the people that make up Team Fox and what each one of them is doing to find a cure.

Today's blog posting is about one of these people- Alyssa Johnson. Alyssa has early onset Parkinson's Disease, but she still manages to run marathons, literally! She ran the Boston Marathon back in April and is gearing up for the New York Marathon on November 2. To me, Alyssa is an inspiration, a hero and reminds me each and every day to keep living my life in a positive, upbeat way no matter what happens. If someone with PD can continue to run marathons then I can overcome any of the obstacles in my life.

If running marathons is not enough she and her husband have also created a calendar in order to raise even more money for the Michael J. Fox Foundation. Their calendar is about wet dogs and all profits from the calendar will go to the Foundation. To purchase a calendar for yourself or a friend please click on this link.

http://wetdogscalendar.com/Calendar/Order.html


I have visited Alyssa's Team Fox page often during my fundraising efforts as it never ceases to inspire me. Raising money is not easy and sometimes you meet with some pretty unsympathetic souls, but all I have to do is remember that people like Alyssa and my Mom still exist and are fighting back and then I keep going.

Besides marathons and calendars Alyssa was also featured in the NY Times as one of 7 people currently living with Parkinson's. This video segment was just amazing.
NY Times Article

To end my post I want to wish Alyssa the best of luck. I have not met her in person, but what she is doing with her life has definitely touched my life. If you can please support Alyssa in her efforts to raise money either by buying a calendar or making a $5 donation on her Team Fox page. Every single dollar raised helps find a cure!

Run Alyssa Run!

4 comments:

BAC said...

Karen,
Thank you very much for sharing our story. And thank you for being a part of Team Fox. Hopefully we will have an opportunity to meet in the near future.
Barry

Alyssa said...

Thanks for blogging about me although you made me cry. I don't really feel like an inspiration and I would give anything not to be in this position. But I guess some things happen for a reason. Thanks for your support and kind words...
Alyssa

FishFindersDirect said...

Alyssa and Barry,

Thanks for your comments. You are both an inspiration. When I go out for my 3 mile jog and won't to stop part way through I think of you, Alyssa, and that makes me keep going.

I will be at the NYC marathon (as an observer) and will try to pick you out of the crowd.

Good luck!
Karen

matina said...


i was diagnosed of parkinson disease 5 years ago,i started azilect,then mirapex as the disease progressed in february last year,and i started on parkinson disease herbal medicine from ultimate life clinic,few months into the treatment i made a significant recovery,almost all my symptoms are gone,great improvement with my movement and balance,it been a year and life has been so good for me,reach them through there website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com
.