Friday, October 24, 2008

Team Fox

I have some good news today! My Team Fox fundraising total is now at $10,000.01 for the 2008 year! I couldn't be happier. I joined Team Fox, the grassroots, volunteer fundraising arm of the Michael J. Fox Foundation, in December 2007 and set a goal to raise $10,000 by the end of 2008. I actually reached the $10,000 mark back in July, but since all donations made in 2007 were no longer reported on the site I was still below the $10,000 mark. It was important to me to make sure that the 'contributions raised' on my personal page reached the stated goal so that no one could ever question whether or not I reached my goal.

About 2 weeks ago I was just over $9600 and reached out to all of my supporters to each make an additional $5 donation. I asked for the donation in honor of my mother-in-law who just passed away. My mother-in-law did not have Parkinson's (my mother is the one with PD). However my mother-in-law was my biggest supporter in raising money for this cause and I thought it would be a fitting way to honor her if the final donations were made in her memory. Several of my supporters made an additional donation and then to my surprise and delight, 2 of my friends, Francis and Julia Creighton, donated the remaining funds needed- $236.20- to break through that $10,000 barrier. They made their donation yesterday morning and brought tears to my eyes. I am proud to say that my personal Team Fox page now reads that I have raised $10,000.01. My mother-in-law would be proud!

In total my supporters have helped me raise over $12,608 in just about 10 months. In 2009 I plan to continue raising money to find a cure for PD and will need to find new ways to accomplish my goals. If anyone has any suggestions please enter a comment on this blog or email me through the email address listed in my profile. No idea is too small or too big. I'd love to hear from you.

To visit my personal Team Fox page and to see the $10,000.01 for yourself please click on this link.

Karen's Team Fox Page


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen, I wish I knew the magic solution on how to raise more money for you. I was diagnosed with PD myself 5 years ago at the age of 38, and after spending a year feeling sorry for myself I began raising money both in an effort to cure the disease, and to create public awareness. My own personal attempts were rather meager the last few years, but this year I am going to try something different.
Just this past summer I stood back in awe as I watched a co-worker raise $2,000 to support breast cancer. She did it by holding several garage/yard sales. She got friends and neighbors involved by asking for items they wanted to get rid of, explaining that she was going to have this sale, and that 100% of the proceeds were being donated to her cause. She put up fliers in the neighborhood explaining the sale and the results were overwhelming. Tons of people showed up for the sale, and many people, after purchasing an item, returned with donations of more items to sell. The first sale was such a success and grew so rapidly by word of mouth that people kept coming with donations of either money or unwanted treasures, so much so that she had to hold a second sale to get rid of everything she accumulated.

Good luck with your efforts.

FishFindersDirect said...

Dear pdwarrior,

Thanks for your comment. I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I am sure that young onset pd is a difficult diagnosis to receive.

If you are interested in joining a group that is working to raise money and awareness I recommend you take a look at the website www.focusonacure.org. The Focus on a Cure Foundation is a non-profit working to find a cure. It was started in the last few years by Ann and Ken Glowienke. Ken was diagnosed with PD at about 38. He and his wife, Ann, are fighting to find a cure. I have met both of them in person and can't say enough about how impressive they are.

If Focus on a Cure is not for you take a look at Team Fox- www.teamfox.org. I have found that having something positive to do as well as meeting the amazing people associated with fundraising for the same cause helps more than I imagined.
Whatever you decide, good luck!
Karen

isabella said...


My husband was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease at 57.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, things were tough for me, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure ultimate health home, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimatehealthhome they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com to anyone who needs help.

matina said...

i was diagnosed of parkinson disease 5 years ago,i started azilect,then mirapex as the disease progressed in february last year,and i started on parkinson disease herbal medicine from ultimate life clinic,few months into the treatment i made a significant recovery,almost all my symptoms are gone,great improvement with my movement and balance,it been a year and life has been so good for me,reach them through there website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com
.