Monday, November 17, 2008

How do you TRAP a Disease?

There is some new and exciting research out in the media over the past few days. It seems that some smart scientists have discovered a way to identify the genetic messages of distinct cells.

Before I go into how this works I want to discuss how this helps Parkinson's Disease research. As is well known, the ongoing, progressive cause of Parkinson's is the death of dopamine neurons in the substantia nigra section of the brain. The aspect of this that is not well known is that there are 2 different types of dopamine neurons in this brain section, but only one of the types dies off in PD. No one understands why this is the case, how it happens or if there is a way to stop it. The main reason that none of this process is understood is that there has been no good way to isolate and analyze these two different cell types. That is there wasn't a way until recently.

Scientists at the Michael Stern Parkinson's Disease Foundation, part of Rockefeller University, have developed a method to distinguish between these 2 types of dopamine cells as well as all other cell types. They developed a procedure called Translational Ribosome Affinity Purification (TRAP) that can essentially isolate the genetic messages of any cell thereby showing the differences in the cells at a genetic level.

All cells have a structure called ribosomes that work as the protein production factories. The proteins that are "created" within the ribosomes are a direct result of their genetic make up. By looking at which proteins are produced scientists can determine which genes are "turned on" in the cell. By understanding which genes are "turned on" scientists can determine differences in similar cell types.

TRAP uses genetically engineered mice to tag ribosomes in a particular cell type and then capture the genetic messages as they pass through ribosomes on their way to creating proteins.

So how does this research help Parkinson's Disease? Well, first it allows for better research into how the two types of dopamine neurons differ. Understanding this difference may point to reasons why one type dies while the other lives on as usual. Also, understanding the proteins created by the diseased cell type may offer insight into better treatments for PD. Who knows... it may be possible to somehow supplement the proteins that the dying cells created.

All in all I think this is a remarkable breakthrough that has the potential to speed up research into new treatments as well as new avenues for research into what causes Parkinson's Disease in the first place.

5 comments:

Loomis said...

You have a very nice blog here :)
Thanks for you recent post at my blog Http://www.successdemandsaction.com The SGR program is very well known, ive never tried it out tho, maybe I should check it out :)

Would you be interested in exchanging links?

I wish you love and peace of mind.
Yours truly
Allen

Anonymous said...

Pain is something that everybody has in their body and experience that quite often on different occasions due to so many different reasons like work pressure, mental stress and illness, marital difficulties and personal problems

After reading this message i like to share a word I was looking for a pain reduction info and came across this website. After reading
a bit, I felt that the tips they gave were so basic,simple and natural of all, it all just made perfect sense. If you would like to read it,
you can…


Pain Cause

isabella said...


My husband was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease at 57.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, things were tough for me, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure ultimate health home, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimatehealthhome they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com to anyone who needs help.

matina said...


i was diagnosed of parkinson disease 5 years ago,i started azilect,then mirapex as the disease progressed in february last year,and i started on parkinson disease herbal medicine from ultimate life clinic,few months into the treatment i made a significant recovery,almost all my symptoms are gone,great improvement with my movement and balance,it been a year and life has been so good for me,reach them through there website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com
.

Patricia William said...

My symptoms started at the age of 47. My fingers on my left hand were stiff and difficult to move. People noticed that my walk was not normal. I was often asked if I was hurt. I noticed nothing different about my walk. It was difficult getting up from a chair and getting out of a car. I was diagnosed a year later, it was the onset of tremors starting in my right hand that caused my other symptoms to be recognized as Parkinson's. I am now 58. With the new herbal medicine I purchased from Dr Fredrick was my only way to get fast relief from this PD, his herbal supplement effectively reversed my Parkinson's disease condition and alleviated all my symptoms. for more help contact him via email: drfredrick95@gmail.com